COVID information

Information on COVID-19

Information on COVID-19
The ELTE Epidemiological Operative Coordinating Body (JOKT) strongly recommends for all University Citizens to take the opportunity to be vaccinated.

ELTE Information Page On COVID

Changes in restrictions (from 7 March2022)

- changes in bold

  • education is going back to offline from 28 February 2022
  • all public get-togethers and festivities are allowed at the university and in Hungary
  • masks are not obligatory in public or indoor spaces anymore (exception: hospitals, healthcare institutions, nursery homes)
  • immunity certificates are not required for visitng places, events
  • border checks are still on
Please also find below:
  • Vaccination
  • Changes of entry regulations to Hungary
  • Information for students staying in quarantine
  • Health care during the pandemic


Please find info about the vaccination here:


Useful links:

How to get to doctor/hospital?

In case of emergency:
Please be sure that you have a valid insurance!

How to get a valid insurance?

Book an appointment at Quaestura to get your insurance!
  • for Stipendium Hungaricum students UNIQA is free of charge
  • for self financed students Generali is available
If you are in quarantine and would like to contract, please write an e-mail to Quaestura ( with following the subject: „online health insurance contract – I am in quarantine”.
Please book an appointment for the time you can leave your quarantine, and note: you have to hand in the signed contract in person also in the case of an online contract.
Students with insurance can contact:
If you are a Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship holder student, please make ASAP (as soon as you have all required document) your TAJ-card request at Quaestura Office:
Please note: with TAJ card you have unlimited access to the Hungarian state financed health care.

EU citizens – „blue card”

This is the free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 27 EU countries. All necessary emergency health care issues are available with this blue card. You can use it at all state financed health care doctors, e.g.:

What will happen, if I have a positive test?

In case of a positive test the hospital informs the National Public Health and Medical Officer Service. They go to the COVID positive person’s accommodation, give them the so called “red paper” for quarantine (+ the people living together there and they will be also tested). They inform you about the quarantine rules. It is possible that together with the National Public Health officer also the police will appear. It is part of the normal protocol, so you do not have to be afraid.
It is very important to be cooperative. Please understand: in case of measurements relating COVID, students who are not cooperative may be expelled from the country.
According to the regulations of the Epidemiological Operative Coordinating Body (JOKT) of ELTE students who are COVID positive must
  • stay in quarantine!
  • report it obligatorily to the Epidemiological Operative Coordinating Body (JOKT) at and
  • inform your international coordinator at the Department of International Affairs
  • inform your instructor that you cannot participate your on campus courses (your absence will be accepted)

If you have been in contact with anyone with a proven case of infection, report this to the Dean’s Office at

In normal case persons being COVID positive should stay at home during the healing period.
During quarantine time people are not allowed to leave their flat. Please order your meal, groceries (e.g. Only credit card payment in advance is accepted.
Please consider: in case of home quarantine you can move free in your flat, you have your own devices, wifi/net/TV, can order food you would like to, etc.
We recommend you to consider, whether you insist on hospital care or stay at home in quarantine, as long as possible (in best situation till the soon recovery). Please note: visiting hospitals is now banned in Hungary.
If you have strong symptoms and are in a bad condition, please call the emergency number: 112. During the pandemic they work with long queue.



Please check the following websites:

Foreign students travelling to Hungary with a valid Hungarian residence permit for a period exceeding 90 days are treated in the same way as Hungarian citizens, thus they can enter Hungary without submitting a special request prior to their arrival.

In case of further questions please contact the consular services and Hungarian missions in your country: